Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mavs Eye of The Tiger



“Last night I witnessed the sweet and innocent little boy, whom I've loved and defended since he came in to my life in 98’, finally grow into a cold-blooded ruthless killer. Dirk, I love you. You've made me proud. Do work son & always, always remember to shake those haters off….”
Now to be honest, I didn't write that… In the interest of full disclosure, I stole in fair and square from a friend’s Facebook status update. Sorry, I had to do it…This particular update perfectly sums up exactly how the city of Dallas is feeling right now as we watch the (newly crowned) Western Conference Champion Dallas Mavericks continue their improbable run this year. Dallas is officially Mavs Crazy! No matter what Mark Cuban said last night after the Mavs won, no one believed in the Mavericks. I sure as hell didn't!
On a recent Sports Daddy podcast, I compared this team to an ex-girlfriend. The one who sucks you back in and breaks your heart again and again. They have broken my heart so many times I was totally out on the team this year. I didn't want to watch! I already knew what was going to happen. It was a one-and-done type of season. If their season didn't end in the first round, the mighty Lakers would surely knock them off in the semis. Admittedly, I along with the rest of the Metroplex, was dead wrong on this team.
As of last night, for only the second time since the team's inception in 1980, the Dallas Mavericks are officially heading to the NBA Finals. This team is markedly different than the one who made a Finals appearance back in 06’. Rocky III. They have what Apollo Creed refered to and Survivor sang about. Yes I am talking The Eye of The Tiger.




Back in 06 The Mavs where young. Yes Dirk was still the franchise player but he wasn't as seasoned. You could even say he was naive. The team blew a chance to become the NBA Champions. The attitude was we are young and we will be back. Fast forward a long 5 years later and they are back. There are only two left over from that 06 team. Dirk and Jason Terry. Those two don't look like they have forgotten anything!

If you look at this 2011 Dallas Mavericks team it is full of chiseled veterans. Chiseled veteran future hall of famers with no rings. You have guys in the twilight of their career with no rings. That may change your attitude a little bit.For Dirk,Jason Kidd and Shawn Marion this maybe their last shot at a Winner.The time is now!

It looks like The Dallas Mavericks are heading on collision course with the Miami Heat again in 2011. It is Rocky vs Drago (Rocky IV reference). The veteran that no one believed in vs. the genetic engineered perfect competitor. Well the Heat better take notice because this Mavericks team is hungry. This Mavericks team has the refuse to lose attiude. This Mavericks team has the Eye of the Tiger....Tiger

No comments:

Post a Comment