Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Twas the night before Tip-OFF


Twas the night before Tip-OFF, when all through the land
Not a creature was stirring, not even one Mavs fan.
The uniforms were hung in the lockers with care,
In hopes that St Dirk soon would be there.

The fans were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of LeBron crying after game 6 still dancing in their heads.
And the fans in 31 Jett shirts , and I in my MFFL cap,
Had just settled our brains for the end of the long winter’s Lock Out.

When on ESPN there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
To the flat screen I flew in a flash,
I went to the backroom and turned up the volume .

A familiar blue glare filled the late night air.
The illumination of sports figures was everywhere.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a St Dirk and his magic step away jump shot.

With a little J-Kidd, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be Basketball Season.
To my eyes this was synthetically pleasing.
And the whistle blew, and Rick Carlisle shouted, and called them by name!

"Now On St. Dirk! now, Jett now, Kidd and Odom!
On, Haywood! On, Marion! on Mahinmi and Carter!
To the top of the key! to the top of the rim!
Now shoot away! Shoot away! Shoot 3’s all day!"


I spoke not a word, but went straight to my fridge,
And grabbed a cold one, then some beef with a jerk.
And then back to my lazy chair I did go,
And giving a nod, up to the Basketball Gods I rose for the anthem!

Miami and then big 3 had arrived and were ready to play
What a way to Kick off this Christmas Day.
Then I heard Mark Cuban exclaim, as he jumped into sight
"Lets Go Mavs! Lets Go Mavs win it all again in the 2012 season!"

Merry Christmas from your friends at BigBadSportsDaddy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment