Friday, July 13, 2012

Singles Match with Rink Panther

According to wikipedia Roller derby is a contact sport played by two teams of five members roller skating in the same direction around a track. This description does not do Derby Justice at all! Try this one wikipedia: Roller Derby is one of the most exciting,fast-moving,hard-hitting sports in the world. And if you aren't down with that Wiki, I'll send 10 Derby Girls to your house to rough you up (true story)!

Did you know we have a Derby League right here in Dallas? They are the mighty Dallas Derby Devils (true story x2). You'll have your next chance to catch them in action Saturday at 7pm. Bring the family out or your beer drinking buddies. Trust me everyone leaves entertained!

Here's the address.

NYTEX Sports Centre
8851 Ice House Dr
North Richland Hills

In this week's Singles Match I caught up with Rink Panther of the Dallas Derby Devils. Rink is a 7 year vet and a member of the Dallas Derby Devils All Star Travel Team.


Larry Stanley: Why did you get into Roller Derby?
Rink Panther: As a junior speedskater in Tucson, AZ Roller Derby became a childhood dream. I watched it on TV when the shows were choreographed. Skating has always been a part of my family as an adult. In late 2005 my husband told me about DDD tryouts and the rest is history.

LS: If you didn't play Roller Derby what sport would you play?
RP:Had you asked me seven years ago I would have said Basketball or Soccer. However, after being in Roller Derby I have gained interest in other contact sports such as Women's Football, Rugbee & Hockey. I am not sure which of those three I would try first ;-)

LS: Do you watch other Sports at all?
RP: I am a huge Football fan. I do watch Basketball as well however, I'd prefer Basketball in person over the Big Screen.

LS:Who are your favorite Teams?
RP:I grew up in a house of 49'er & Cowboy fans. Miami was my team at that time. I still follow them however, have become a Cowboy supporter since moving to Dallas.
"No one in my family knows this though ;-)"

LS:Who are your favorite Derby Girls?
RP:I don't have any! I have been fortunate enough to be a part of the travel team since the beginning of my derby career. I have seen a lot of allstar skaters that have already been established & those that have worked from entry level to team USA. At the end of the day you can be one bad mo flo on the floor as an individual however, it's the teamwork that makes it happen. I enjoy watching "teams" come together more than I do watching a single person.

LS: What's an experience with the Dallas Derby Devils that you'll never forget?

RP:This is very hard because I have many experiences with this league that I will hold close to my heart forever. However, the one that stands out at this time is when I lost my husband in October of 2011. My DDD sisters came together to be here for me and my children. While those initial times were very difficult I would have struggled something terrible had I not had the support from these women. The best experience for me to date has to be knowing that I can rely on friends. This is very important to someone who has no immediate family to lean on.

LS: There are 90+ Women involved with DDD. Does it get catty at times and is it tough to deal with that many women?
RP: Have you ever been anywhere that has this many women in one place???? Yes, at times it can be difficult. However, I wouldn't have it any other way. Along with the unpleasant we get a lot of greatness. We have women of all backgrounds, ages, sizes, shapes, goals etc. When you incorporate that much difference you get great brainstorming, creativity, league/sport evolution, team & individual support. If everyone was exactly the same we would make for a pretty boring group of gals.

LS: Have you ever went fist city with a another girl on the track?
RP:Unfortunately, yes. AND I got into a lot of trouble over it.
Two years ago in another state I was physically attacked by an opposing skater. In self defense I struck back.This is not a typical situation and is strongly discouraged at any level in derby. I don't know that I would have done anything different if given the choice....."except for maybe holding my helmet in my hands instead of throwing it!"

LS:What's something people don't know about Derby?
RP:Derby is a lifestyle change. It's not just a sport. Many women get into derby and it becomes a way of life for them. We put a great deal into our passion, business and the sport. For many it can literally be a second or third full time job. Example: Leaders, Committee's, Skaters can spend up to 30 - 40 hours minimum working on promotions, media, training, production, finance, sponsorships, fundraising, events, tournament preparation, attendance, tryouts etc. We participate in derby because it becomes a passion and impacts our lives in a way that is priceless!

LS: You skate on the Travel Team, can you explain what that means?
RP:The Travel Team is National representation of our league. The team consists of 20 skaters. These 20 skaters also skate on Home Season teams however, we are split up on Home Season.These skaters have been at one time or another been given the opportunity to skate for the travel team via tryouts or another promotion method. The skaters on the Travel Team are trained to become top athletes in our sport.
We compete Nationally against other teams that are part of the Women's Flat Track Association (WFTDA). We have an opportunity ever year to make it to Regional and National level tournaments. We do not get paid for our participation and the competition can be pretty stiff. All Travel Team skaters are held to higher standards and are expected to lead in their training, teamming, unity and attitudes by example.

LS: At the end of the season who is holding up the 2012 DDD Championship Trophy?
RP: I was expecting this question ;-)At the end of the season the 2012 DDD Championship Trophy will be held by the team that plays better together as a unit.
This season has been a great example of how teams can fall apart even with the most talented of skaters.
Strategy of course is a huge part of any sport. If a team cannot work the strategy together "or" the coaches don't call the correct shots then anything can happen.
Sorry Larry.....I know you want an answer but I am going to have to plead the 5th on this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment