Friday, July 27, 2012

Singles Match with Zach Line


On a random hot July Sunday afternoon in Texas, my buddy Rich and I decided to go crash an apartment complex pool not far from where I live. We had heard they had good water volleyball there. In no time flat we got a little game of 6 on 6 going in the cement pond. Like the normal that usually happens in these situations a young man with superior athletic ability took over the game.

In this case it was a guy our teammates had nicknamed "Tebow". As it turns out no one knew how Tebowish this guy was. "Mr. Tebow" was indeed Zach Line. Yes,SMU running back Zach Line who was named Conference USA's preseason Offensive Player of the Year on Monday.

Lucky for Rich and I, Zach was on our team. However, if some random guy hadn't spoken up and said "Hey did you know that was SMU's Running Back Zach Line?" we would have never known. Luckily that Random guy did speak up, and after dominating the pool volleyball competition Zach also agreed to join me in this week's Single's Match Blog.


Larry Stanley: You are from Oxford, Mich. so does that make you a Lions Fan?
Zach Line :Yes! One of my good friends back home is a die-hard Lions fan. His dad is the VP of communications for the Lions so his son loves them. He kind of molded me into a believer, even when they were 0 and 16.

LS: Who were your favorite players and teams growing up?
ZL:Growing up I barely watched NFL football. I have always been a huge Michigan State fan; my father is an alumni there. My favorite MSU player of all time has got to be TJ Duckett.

LS:What brought you to Texas to come play football?
ZL:I was not heavily recruited out of high school so my buddies dad who works for the Lions sent my film to June Jones. This was when he was in Hawaii, Coach Jones extended an offer very quickly. Later I got a call and he had moved to SMU so I followed.

LS: What do you do when you are not doing football stuff?
ZL:When school is in session and football is not as busy this gives me a chance to catch up on that. I love to golf and hang out with buddies. I do have a girlfriend who I love to spend time with also.

LS:In 2010 your Sophomore year, you rushed for 1,494 yards (11th in the country), which only trails Eric Dickerson for most single-season rushing yards in SMU history. Any Chance you break Eric's record this year?
ZL:I have been watching the offensive line this off-season and they look solid. There should be no reason they can't carry me passed the record.

LS:Just like last year SMU has TCU & Texas A&M on the schedule this year. Which game do you think will be a bigger challenge for the Mustangs?
ZL:TCU. This is our cross-town rival. When we play them anything can happen. The skillet will stay in Dallas, but it will be a good game.

LS: Rumors are flying around that SMU will have an all black uniform in 2012. Is that true and how do you feel about that?
ZL:Last time we wore black we lost. I'm not superstitious, but I'm hoping the same outcome doesn't happen if we wear them again.

LS: There were also some rumors flying around that June Jones was going to leave for AZ in the off-season. How different is this team if June is not the coach?
ZL:Coach Jones has been like a second father. He has trained us to act like men. It would be hard to see him leave and adjust to a new coach. Everything happens for a reason and I'm glad he is here to stay.

LS: What have you accomplished in your college career that you are most proud of?
ZL:I think I am most proud of the relationships I have built with so many guys on the team. I know they have my back and I have theirs.

LS: At the end of the 2012 Football Season SMU will be ?
ZL:Conference Champs. Big Bowl Game.

LS: Let's fast forward to the 2013 NFL Draft. Who calls Zach Line's name and in what round?
ZL:It would be an honor to go anywhere. Preferably the Detroit Lions so my family and friends can come.

1 comment: